пятница, 28 сентября 2012 г.

LIN WARMS TO ATLANTA.(Sport) - Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland)

Linford Christie roared to a European Cup glory double in Madrid yesterday - then hinted strongly that he will defend his Olympic crown in Atlanta.

The 36-year-old team captain led Britain to second place behind Germany when he completed the sprint double by winning the 200 metres in 20.25 seconds.

Then he switched his sights to take aim at the world's finest sprinters. Told that Trinidad's Ato Boldon had run the season's fastest time of 9.92secs on Saturday, Lin grinned: 'That's pretty good - I'm looking forward to racing all those guys.'

Christie lags behind America's Dennis Mitchell and Carl Lewis, plus Namibia's Frankie Fredericks in the 100 metres ratings.

But he promised: 'Once I feel the sun on my back, I will get really quick. I've never begun the summer so well. I like the big occasion because it suits me.'

Christie's win put Britain into second place ahead of Italy, then wins by Jonathan Edwards and our 4x400 squad ensured that we kept it.

Colin Jackson clattered the last two hurdles to suffer defeat by 6 ft 7 inch German Florian Schwarthoff. And Scot David Strang was fourth in the 800 metres.

Britain's women finished sixth, with 40-year-old Tessa Sanderson fourth in her javelin comeback.